Monday, May 24, 2010

From Elder Jones, May 24, 2010


Hey ya'll
today is peperation day! Ive been in the field for a week now! Im straight up in the gehtto! Its way cool to start my area in detroit! A lot of missionaries havent served in Detroit yet.. where do I start.. We are on bikes! The city boyz dont get cars! Its the only area that doesn't have cars! We bike close to 20 miles a day.. its insane.. haha. My area is huge! ill send home a map of my area! The Apartment is gehtto. haha.. most of the door knobs dont work. The sink doesnt have a garbage disposal and we dont have a dishwasher! The Oven is straight up crap same with the stove. haha the desks we use are falling apart! You'll see how it looks when I send home the memory card! The church building I go to is an old baptist church.. ITS HUGE! Way crazy on the inside! It makes me miss home.. I wish I could be in a normal church building.. We had church yesterday and it really made me want to go home.. there are maybe 10 white people in the ward.. the rest black. and only 50 people showed up for church.. Church building was empty.. there were 8 people in the elders quarom.. including four missionaries.. Having a real hard time getting use to this.. I maybe see one white person a day.. I rode down a street a few days ago.. One house on the entire street was not burned down.. On another street I rode down I counted 32 abandoned homes out of 50.. Its nuts! You have no idea how bad its out here.. The other night 7 homes burned down on one street! This area has a pyro going around burning down houses.. You really cant picture how bad it is.. Entire hotels, stores and apartments abandoned left and right!.. broken glass everywhere.. Piles and piles of trash just chillin on the side of the street.. Im currently having a really hard time with this whole thing.. The bishop of the ward is whack.. He doesn't care about missionaries it seems.. I feel like im just another missionary to the ward.. they dont seem to appreciate what we do.. and what we are giving up to be out here.. there are few in the ward that loves us.. but majority dont.. or it seems they dont. anyways.. Ill pull away from the negative.. Im going to tell you some stories.
#1 make sure Nate reads this! so me and my comp strollin down the hood when I crazy white guy starts yelling at us! haha my comp wants to keep going but I stop to go talk to him. He's 76. He looks and acts like clint eastwood in gran torrino! I was like sick! Im talking to clint eastwood! He tells me its nice to see some white folk around this area.. He's tired of looking "at N*gg#r$" all day.. He told me he use to do some secret service thing.. I dont know if thats true because I was holding a cup full of vodka.. Anyways he starts telling me about how he picked a fight with a big black guy on the corner a couple months ago. He said to the black guy "come here monkey" black guy says.. "whats a monkey" he replies "A nigger from africa I use to eat you for breakfast when I was serving in africa! black guy gets mad charges the white guy. white guy(clint eastwood) throws one punch and breaks the guys jaw.. haha he's bamf. like I said.. He was holding a cup of vodka.. not sure if the story is true! haha but he didnt like my comp.. kept telling him you'll never know what I know! and continued talking to me!
#2 My comp and I were tracting on this street.. We were on this street for over an hour and no one was giving us the time of day.. So we decided to move onto another street.. We started walking and I get this feeling to just walk down to the end of the street.. so I told my comp lets go down to the end of the street. turn around and go back to our bikes. As we came to the end of the street the corner house across the street starts howling at us to come over.. so we did.. There are 7 women on the porch.. all family! We ended up teaching them for an hour and half.. and we set up a return appointment! pretty chill!
#3 we are currently teaching this guy named leonard! His wife joined the church 3 years ago but hasn't gone since! he called us telling us he wanted to get baptized. so we are like sick.. haha. we go over to his house. get to know him teach the first lesson. all went well. He's a very nice guy and is wanting to get his life straight. At this point we are not sure what he has done in the past. We stopped by his house on saturday for the second time. He goes to tell us that hes robbed several banks.. Slinged dope.. shot people and killed people before...
but he's done the time for it.. my comp and I are like oh shoot haha. what are we dealing with.. He came to church with us yesterday with his wife and his two little kids.. He really does have a sincere heart and really wants to get his life straight. It looks like we will be baptizing him by the end of june because He has to get interviewed by the mission president.
#4 last but not least. My comp and I have protection. Haha. We talked to this x mob leader guy. He told us that He respects us for what we are doing with Detroit! bringing everyone unto christ! He told us if we ever have any problems that we were to contact him and tell him where the problem was and he would take care of it! pretty sick!
Elder prescott is from san diego.. are you talking to his mom? cause he's in my zone and hes way chill!
also Elder Bird is in my zone and he's from cam.
anyways.. send me love peeps! I need it!
p.s. everything is black out here.. even the Squirrels! haha we call them squiggers!

No comments:

Post a Comment