Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dad's thoughts, Day 2

This blog is for close friends and family, so I don’t want to pretend and write through rose colored glasses. Lets face it, getting Kelsen on a mission was a monumental task facilitated by probably hundreds of people in different ways.

Elder Jones is an awesome kid with massive talents in many many areas. However, I think the whole idea of a mission scared the living daylights out of him. I believe there is a part of him that wanted to go, but he went because we (Dad, Mom, friends, family, etc) pushed him and expected him to go. That’s not a bad thing.

Kelsen needs to be pushed in the right direction some times. He needs a bit of help. With all of his talents, discipline and follow through are not yet among them. He said many times he didn’t want to go, that he wasn’t ready. I believe him. But he’d never be ready - he isn’t yet able to consistently “prepare” on his own. For him, he’s gonna have to finish his preparation during the first part of the mission.

I’ve been telling him for YEARS that his life would change if he would just eat right, go to bed at a regular time and exercise. Well, now that’s finally going to happen. Give him a week in the MTC. A whole new world is about to unfold. He’s going to be unstoppable with his new structure and become an incredible missionary able to reach people that others simply can’t.

Confession: Tuesday at Walmart I was separated from him. I accidentally let him go off on his own. He was alone. No companion! I wasn’t with him! I wasn’t worried about him doing anything, I was just a little worried about him, and started getting a little choked up, in the middle of the Walmart…

Ya, he’s been a huge pain in my butt. But I’m gonna miss him. Not yet. But soon.

Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment